Search This Blog

Monday, September 22, 2014

Religious and Spiritual

I haven't posted a blog since Friday, but during that time I have had so many thoughts and feelings about god and motherhood to share because yesterday was my daughter's baptism at our Unitarian Universalist Church.

Now, I use the word "baptism" because that is a word that people are familiar with, and so for the purposes of communication, I use it. But at my Unitarian Universalist church where we had the ceremony, it was called a "child dedication." In other traditions I've also heard it called a "naming ceremony" or a "christening." I myself have always liked the idea of a "welcome to the world" ceremony, just like the children's book by the same title.

I like the idea of having a ceremonial ritual, followed by a party with cake!, to mark the occasion of welcoming this perfect new baby soul to the earth. And with that welcome, asking the parents and godparents and friends and family and congregation to all pledge their allegiance to the care and growth of this baby. I was reminded of this when Reverend Jan asked all of us yesterday if we will support the health and well-bring of my daughter and we were all asked to reply on unison, "we will." Kind of like when I was swearing in as a Peace Corps Volunteer after 3 months of training: "I, Claire, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, domestic or foreign, that I take this obligation freely. And without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion. And that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps, so help me God."

Honestly, I think we should be asked to take a similar oath before we even walk out the door of the hospital just after the birth. You know at that moment that all parents have when you are told by the hospital staff that you are cleared to go home, and panic sets in, and you think to yourself, even when it is your second time, "really, you are trusting ME to walk out of here with this tiny little 5 pound baby and take care of her all by myself? Are you nuts?!"

But, what about those words at the end of my Peace Corps oath: "so help me god." Help. A four letter word that writer Anne Lamott tells us is a prayer all by itself. And I do voluntarily recognize that I need help raising my children. I truly do need a village. But not just any village, a safe and compassionate and loving village. And wouldn't that kind of village truly be the presence of god and heaven on earth?  That is "god's help" trying to present itself in our lives if we are observant enough to notice.

Unitarian Universalist Chaplin and writer Kate Braestrup talks about these helpers as well. She says in order for us to remember that god is walking beside us in this life, in good times and in bad, all we need to do is to "look for the helpers." In celebrations and in tragedies and everything in between there are people, or sometimes a single person, who shows up, to help you move through the occasion. I'll tell you, yesterday, at the baptism, I Iooked down from the pulpit where we stood with Reverand Jan and my daughter's 3 (yes I said 3!) godparents and my husband, and I saw pews filled with helpers. I saw pews filled with divine humanity.

Now, I'll tell you, in case you were wondering, I am not a Christian. And as I've said previously, I just don't have that religious baggage that many others do- though I appreciate the religious  wounds that many still carry as a result.  So, words like "baptism" and religious occasions that happen in churches with things like holy water and white dresses by themselves don't carry a lot of attachment or meaning for me that is troubling or conflictual really in any way.  However, what I do find deeply meaningful is ritual that is spiritually based and held within a community. A special occasion where men and women, young and old, boys and girls of all ages come together to hold space to commemorate a sacred moment. Which on this past Sunday, was the marking and welcoming of my daughter into this world and taking our oath as a human family to safely care for her. Honestly, in the best scenario isn't that what a religion would be for? An intentional community that works together towards its values and ideals. Can't more be accomplished together as a group than a single person ever could on his or her own? Even a prophetic individual.

For me, yesterday had many areas of significance, which I may continue to reflect on in the coming weeks. But for today, I'm noticing more space in my heart and mind for the possibility that we as a people could be not just spiritual, but religious as well. Because if we were, imagine the tremendous possibilities for humanity as a whole on this earth we call home.

1 comment:

  1. I am so touched by your words, Claire.
    Blessings to all of you, Rev. Jan

    ReplyDelete