Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2015

Nature Teaching Spiritual Lessons



I took these photos in the last two weeks. I am calling them Spring One, Spring Two & Spring Three. The snowy picture was one week in to spring. The second picture with the little crocuses peaking their heads out of the ground was two weeks in to spring. And the last shot I took yesterday; three weeks in to spring the sun was shining, the grass was greening, the crocuses were blooming.

I sometimes imagine my life broken down into spiritual tasks.  Like when I had a difficult boss for several years, I tried to ask myself what the spiritual task of that moment in time might be for me.  But I've come to the conclusion that the over-arching spiritual task for my life as a whole is the practice of surrender.  Because I seem to always want life to flow my way, in my timeframe no matter how much my reasonable mind says "it just doesn't work that way though."

For me, nature helps me to remember to surrender.  To keep my hands off of things that are just not mine to get in to.  To be patient.  To allow things to unfold as they will.  To let go of fighting reality.  To remember, as writer Anne Lamott titled one of her books, Grace, Eventually, things will turn out okay in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment