Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2015

Evolving Perceptions

I am completely fascinated with dialectics which tell us that there is no one single truth.  Accepting this premise allows us to see our own perceptions, and those of others, as a non-stop evolution of change.
I work in healthcare, and about 6 months ago I was reminded of this philosophy when I went to a training to help staff remember that perception and subjectivity are a constant.  If someone says, "get me a lot of paperclips," how many paperclips should that person get? If someone says, "get me a few paperclips," how many should that person get? Or, to up the ante in a healthcare setting, how important is it to remember specificity versus perception when asking for 10 mg of this or 150 mg of that?
A lot, a few, some, a bunch, not much, a little, a ton, etc. etc. It is interesting how even our very English language can collude with our inner world that says, “the way I see things is reality.”
I took this picture of the parking lot where I work a few weeks ago. It led me to ask: what is "a lot" of snow?  Has that perspective changed after the pounding of literally feet upon feet of snow this year? 
No one single truth...I don't know, that seems true!

No comments:

Post a Comment