Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2020

Poetry 168: On My Birthday

To live is so startling,

it leaves but little room

for other occupations...


~Emily Dickinson~



On My Birthday

 

I’ve been visiting

here for exactly 43

years today, and

I’m still just scratching

the surface.

 

(What length of time

would be enough

you think?)

 

The oldest person to

ever live in my family

died in her 86th year,

so I figure

I’m either half-way through

this trip or something a

little (or a lot) shorter.

 

Which means,

if this were a marathon

(which I’d be walking

because I don’t run),

I guess I’d be at mile 13.1-

finally hitting my stride.

 

(Did it take me too long

you think?)

 

Not long ago

I met a Vietnam Veteran

who at 79 decided

he needed to talk

with a therapist

for the first time

in his life to

“sort some things out.”

 

Man, I thought,

I had to start that

process in the womb...

 

Nevertheless, I’ve met

some wonderful people

along the way.

Kind, loving, honest.

 

And, I’ve met some

really shitty people too.

Mean, cold-hearted, gas lighters.

 

Yet all the while,

I continue to thank god

for bringing me here;

even if

I’m not sure

I’d want to do it

all over again.

 

(Is that wrong to say

you think?)

 

It's just that,

to be honest,

I do find living on earth

to be pretty hard at times.

Not this exact moment

per se, but in general,

yes, yes I do.

 

Still, I do love the children;

mine and all others.

And the music-

the music is wonderful.

And the clouds...

all those gorgeous formations

against that sea blue sky- brilliant!

 

Yes, there is so much

to see and hear and touch

and smell and taste

on this unlikely funny little

blue and green sphere

that spins through

the universe.

 

I will try to make

the most of it.

I will.

 

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment