Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Poetry 161: Gratitude in This Very Moment

I don’t speak of the gift, because not for everything that’s given to you can you really be grateful. You can’t be grateful for war in a given situation, or violence, or sickness, things like that.

So the key, when people ask, “Can you be grateful for everything?” — no, not for everything, but in every moment.

Brother David Steindl-Rast, 2015

Gratitude in This Very Moment

The shadowy beauty of dawn and dusk

This extra hot cup of coffee in my right hand

The way my son still holds a hug longer that I think he will

Gentle kisses from my not-quite 2 year-old kitty who still gets into all kinds of mischief

The ability to afford takeout on a Friday night

Anything by Henri Nouwen

Super soft blankets tucked in tight under my chin at bedtime

Wild turkeys causing traffic during the morning commute

Hurt transforming into wisdom

The way technology still allows me to see your sweet face

Caring for my own body in an extended rag doll until the release comes

This quiet moment right here

-Me

P.S. Okay, now it is your turn. What are you grateful for in this very moment right here? A tip, don't force it. Just open, and see what is already there.

No comments:

Post a Comment