Search This Blog

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Poetry 160: Legacy


Legacy

They say in the rooms
that hurt (adjective) people,
hurt (verb) people.
In the case of my mother,
and her mother before her,
nothing could be
more true.

You see,
my mother was never
able to figure out
how to not hate me-
even though,
in her best moments
I think she really wanted to.

But how does one
who lives in a constant
state of lost and confused,
ever find a pathway to kindness?

A wise, 84 year-old
American JewBu once said:
“When we are confused,
we forget to be kind.
When we are not confused,
we remember to be kind.”

I truly hope to remember.

But intergenerational family
patterns of hardwired hurt
can make DNA disassembly
feel next to impossible at times.

And oddly, it is even seen
by some local insiders
as disloyal to fathom breaking
a toxic legacy
that has left so many casualties
in a state of chronic heartbreak.

But then, remarkably,
I find myself
gazing down into the round,
blue eyes of my own
6 year-old daughter
as she engineers her newest invention
out of duct tape and recycled paper towel rolls,
and I know for absolute certain,
the spell has finally been broken.

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment