Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Spiritual Lessons From Nature Part XV: God's Presence

The other day I took a hike in an area that I had only ever visited in the summertime when the New England trees are full and the ground cover is lush.


But on this day, in the thick of winter, I was able to see the very same landscape in a completely new way.  Because without the large beautiful leaves and even without the color, I was able to notice that which had been previously unseen.

This came to me in a most poignant yet subtle way--as only nature can do--when I realized I was not alone.

I had been hiking for some time (well over an hour), when I decided to check out what was on the other side of the wooded area that lined the path.

 And low and behold, there was my favorite river...


I'm sure I should have known that this river ran parallel to this hiking path that I'd walked many times, but the truth is, I didn't.
But then, when I saw that river flowing by me (as clearly it had each and every other  time I had hiked that same path), I felt so comforted.  I felt so not-alone anymore.

It reminded me of god's presence, and it brought overwhelming gratitude that in the winter, whether that be the literal snowy season or the figurative mind state of quiet and stillness, sometimes the invisible can become visible.

So, when I found my way back to the path again, and headed back to my car on the other side of the field,


I walked with a different kind of feeling inside of me. A feeling, a knowledge, that I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment