Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Poetry 136: I Say a Little Prayer

I Say a Little Prayer


My prayers

carry no sound

at all.


They are mere

vibrations, set to

words, that I

send out to

others.


Fear not though,

there is no magic

here, for magic

has never

been my thing.


It’s just a wish,

a hope,

an invisible safety net

that I knit from nothing

with the aspiration that

it may keep another

free from harm.


“Please be careful,”

I say

to the fledgling male motorcyclist

without a helmet

who is weaving in and out

of traffic on I91N

on his brand new

Kawasaki.


“May peace be in your heart,”

I say to the dear colleague who

just lost his patient

to suicide.

 
“I’m so sorry,”

I say to the small black

bear cub lying

lifeless

in the middle of the road

with a man in a sedan

looking on  nearby.


“Easy does it,”

I say to the frazzled

young mother in

Target who is coarsely

grabbing her son

by the arm.


“Go slowly,”

I say to the California psychologist

who is about to

testify before the

Senate Judiciary Committee.
 

And always, “breathe.”

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment