Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Poetry 127: What If

What If

What if it were actually
true that one day
I will die?

And you as well.

And what if terrible car accidents,
not ours, caused us
to be late to work sometimes.

What if my husband
were to buy me an
exact copy of the beloved
book which I had refused
to return to the library,
and the common cold
would make me sick every year,
sometimes twice or three times?

What if red and blue
made purple every single time,
and blue and yellow
made green,
and what if all of the women
in my family were diagnosed
with cancer.

What if my daughter
kissed me lightly on the
lips for no reason
whatsoever, 
and justice
were not always done?

What if my
forsythia were
to bloom its little yellow flowers
every spring like clockwork,
and what if
some people will lie
right to my face?

What if my son
were to get pneumonia
three times before age 5,
and human beings had
lived on the planet Earth
for over 100,00 years?

And what if milk
spoiled when left
on the counter,
and my love for you
were boundless and
infinite.

What if Donald Trump
were made President of
the United States
(until further notice),
and but a few friendships
will last more than 10 years,

What if the Twin Towers
fell to the ground
at 9 a.m.
on a Tuesday,
and what if my coworker
poured a bag of
chocolate on my desk
to cheer me up
one day?

What if?

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment