Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2018

Poetry 124: Looking For Delight

"In my own worst seasons I've come back from the colorless world of despair by forcing myself to look hard, for a long time, at a single glorious thing: a flame of red geranium outside my bedroom window. And then another: my daughter in a yellow dress. And another: the perfect outline of a full, dark sphere behind the crescent moon. Until I learned to be in love with my life again. Like a stroke victim retraining new parts of the brain to grasp lost skills, I have taught myself joy, over and over again."

-Barbara Kingsolver, High Tide in Tucson
 
Looking For Delight


I look for delight,
and it is there.

 
The heat
of the ceramic
tea cup
in  the palm
of my hand.

The purplish-pink hue
of the sky
on the horizon
at dusk.
 
The velvety, soft texture
of the light blue
blanket that is tightly tucked
beneath my chin.

The arrogant orange and white
tom cat who unapologetically
saunters into my yard
to sleep on my deck chair.

The incredible fragrance
of the towering lilac
in the corner
of my backyard.

The first look
at my son’s unspoiled face
in the morning
before the sleep
has left his eyes.

I look for delight,
and it is there.
I look for delight,
because I need to.
-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment