Search This Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Poetry 116: Cleaning House

Cleaning House

For my dear friend S.

Cleaning House

I wake. 
As if from a dream (a nightmare)
in the middle of the night. 

The harsh wind swirls around me
pushing hard against my pale skin.
Is it cleaning me out?
Making room for the new. 

A whoosh.
A gush.
A tight panic in my chest 
as a tree limb breaks;
as the patio umbrella
is painfully yanked out
and blown across the lawn.

The sound is frightening and calming at once. 
God's own voracious lullaby.

Will the house I know be blown away?
Or, will I be swept up 
to the Emerald City?
Complete with mythological monsters
and all.

Yet,
crazy though it seems,
I want to stand
in the middle of the storm. 
I want to rid myself
of all that is un-wholly.

I make the decision. 
(Or the decision makes me.)

Alone,
I walk to the center of the earth
in prayer-
in devotion. 

I stop,
and stretch my whole body wide.
North. East. South. West. 
4 balanced points of intersection
with that which is real. 

Legs rooted, 
arms extended beyond my reach,
the sensation begins. 

A mighty rush of hot breath and air 
begins to build and blow through me-
I shake. 
I cry. 
I  am offered new life
as I let go 
of that which no longer serves me-
maybe it never did. 

Holding still-ness,
I squeeze my eyes shut 
and let the words of god
cross my lips. 

May you be safe
May you be happy. 
May you be peaceful. 
May you live with ease. 

May it be so.

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment