Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2015

Spiritual Anchors

The metaphor of an anchor has always worked for me in my spiritual life.   I am someone who has spent much of her life feeling like I would just float away like a balloon if I did not have people, places and things to keep me grounded.  Therefore, whether it be on the meditation cushion or off, the importance of finding an anchor cannot be underscored enough for me. 

Spiritual anchors, in meditation and in life, can be quite diversified and can target specific areas of  the self that need attention and grounding (e.g. the mind versus the body versus the soul).  However, at the end of the day for me, all anchors—which to me are like tools in my tool belt—lend themselves to the same over-arching practice and intention of mindfulness.  All anchors help me to come back to the here and now in both mind and body and to not cultivate the seeds of suffering.

As more of a traditionalist in this respect, my go-to anchor has always been the breath.  Probably because it’s free, it’s always with me, it’s doesn’t require a lot of thought, and it feels good in the body to take in a breath with intention rather than unconsciously.

Another frequent anchor is use of sound.  My Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction class in 2014re-introduced me to this one.  Awareness of sound can be a fantastic anchor to the present moment, especially when in nature- though I’ve also heard of someone using it while waiting in the airport during a long layover. 

I thoroughly enjoyed sound as my anchor this past summer as I sat in meditation on my deck or by my screen door in the early morning hours taking in all the bird sounds waking up each day.  In fact, some days I would also be blessed with a co-anchor of a pleasant breeze or a flowery smell that lit up all my senses to the present moment.

Of course words themselves are traditional anchors in multiple spiritual practices. Though not overtly identified as using an anchor, my very amateur understanding of contemplative practices such as Transcendental Meditation and Centering Prayer finds these to be more formal practices with a cognitive anchor- albeit possibly with different intentions.  Both practices encourage the practitioner to focus attention on one word or set of words (a.k.a a mantra) while in meditation or prayer.

Words, as any blogger would say, have always been an effective grounding tool for me. Over the years I have used several words or phrases in my meditation practice.  Many were borrowed from the experiences of more seasoned seekers whose books I’ve read, lectures I’ve attended, or interviews I’ve listened to. Here are some to name a few:

Be, here, now.

Now, here, this.

In. Out.

I am.

When I have used one phrase on the above list, it was often infused with meaning for me at the time, which made the practice more personal.

Most recently I have been using a phrase picked up from my recent day of mindfulness at Blue Cliff Monastery founded by Buddhist teacher and author Thich Nhat Hanh.  Here I congregated together with other practitioners one recent morning in the meditation hall in the spirit of sangha.  Then a monk led us in a meditation that used these words, or anchor, as we followed our breath:

“When I breathe in, I know that I am breathing in.

When I breathe out, I know that I am breathing out.”

This particular anchor really works well for me right now because I am trying to connect my meditation practice with my challenges in accepting reality as it is.

Taking a more wide-angle lens, the spiritual practices themselves (versus what we actually say or do in them) can be the anchor for our day to day lives.

For many years I worked side by side in community mental health with a very devout Catholic man, and every day before work (which began at 8:30 in the morning) he would attend mass at his local church.  This was a time before I had children of my own, and he had 4.  One day I asked him, after I had had trouble just getting myself ready and out of the house that morning, “why do you do it? It seems like another task to put in your already very full day of service none the less.”  And he of course responded that the practice of attending mass at the start of each day was extremely grounding for him, and by no means a burden of any kind.  The practice was an anchor.

My coworker’s words and practice stayed with me, even though I had no such practices or understanding of what a spiritual anchor was at that time in my younger life.  Though I had always been someone who admired devotional seekers from afar- even when I did not have any of my own to speak of. 

It is quite easy for me to stand in awe of others who wear their faith on their sleeve. As long as the individual’s devotional practices do not in anyway, directly or indirectly, interfere with or judge the way other folks search for spirit and truth, I feel immense admiration for those concrete practices that make a more visible and bold declaration of the sacred and holy.

Some of this appreciation comes from reading.  In both That’s Funny, You Don’t Look Buddhist by Sylvia Boorstein and Devotion by Dani Schapiro I enjoyed reading descriptions of what I understood to be the orthodox Jewish practice of fastening scrolls of Hebrew texts from the Torah, that are safely kept in square leather boxes called “tefillin,” literally onto the body- the arm and head specifically.  I could absolutely see how this practice, taken so literally from scripture, could be an act of worship and a spiritual anchor for the individual.

Watching others practice their spiritual rituals, in a voyeuristic sort of way I suppose, has also impressed upon me the beauty of a more public display of faith.  When I was in India in 2001 I spent some time in the state of Kerala which is on the southwestern coast.  Each morning I would wake up to the sound of the ocean outside of my hut, and I would come outside to see the local Indian men and women who would come each morning to engage in a practice of wading in to the ocean in full clothes while some sort of spiritual leader or figure would, what appeared to be, bless them in some way.  It was breathtaking.

Another religious practice found in multiple faiths that I have long admired and seen as a natural anchor in its purest (in other words: non-obligatory) form is the concept of Sabbath.

A little while ago I watched a youtube video of the Christian author and preacher Rob Bell called “Everything is Spiritual.” It’s an interesting view if you haven’t already seen it.  But one thing that particularly caught my attention was his reminder from Genesis in the Bible that suggests the value of Sabbath as a day of rest.

As a full-time working parent of 2 young kids, a period of total rest is out of the question because even if I am not actually commuting back and forth to the hospital where I work, I am still giving baths and changing diapers in my other job as a mother.

What was interesting to me though, was after watching this Rob Bell youtube video that referred to  Sabbath as defined as rest, I had greater awareness in my meditation practice of how much “work” I was still doing unconsciously while sitting on the cushion.  Though I frequently use an anchor, like those listed above, my mind still routinely jumps up and begins to problem-solve or make lists.  It’s like she (my mind) just can’t seem to remember for more than 30 seconds that we are not working right now, we are resting with god in focused attention and (relative) stillness.

Since this awareness, I have started using the word “Sabbath” as my word-anchor in meditation.  I have actually always liked the sound and meaning of this word, though it has no roots in my own secular upbringing.  But now it is also helping me to remember, as written in Ecclesiastes in the Bible, that “there is time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens” including spiritual practice, stillness and rest. 

Let’s let our spiritual anchors help us return to these noble intentions, moment by moment, day by day.

What spiritual anchors do you use to stay grounded?

No comments:

Post a Comment