Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2015

"I live my life in widening circles"

I live my life in widening circles. This first line from a poem by German poet Rainer Maria Rilke has been reverberating in the echo chamber of my mind.  I’ve been imagining these words as applied to my sense of the spiritual life stages that I wrote about a week ago which led me to draw the picture above. I imagine each stage, or circle, like this starting from the center and moving outward: I am: A Return to Self; You Are: A Return to God; We Are: A Return to Community; Inter-are: A Return to Oneness.
 
And since you are here, and Rilke is so breathtaking, here is the rest of his poem just because…
 
I live my life in widening circles
that reach out across the world.
I may not complete this last one
but I give myself to it.
I have been circling around God, that primordial tower.
I've been circling for thousands of years
and still I don't know: am I a falcon,
a storm, or a great song?

No comments:

Post a Comment