Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Poetry 158: You Don't Have to Slay the Dragon

You Don't Have to Slay the Dragon

(In dedication, reverence and gratitude to Lama Surya Das)

I've descended down
to where the blue
dragon flies hover,
the forest deer
take their morning
sip, and
the trout gather in a
sea they forget is there.

I've come to release
my Protector;
the oh-so-loyal
guardian who has
served me so well.

Without her,
I would not have been
able to clean house
of that which
harmed me, and would
continue to,
if not for her joyous effort.

I'll admit, she does
seem somewhat reluctant
to let me go;
sweetly reminding me
of the way my favorite
Jewish auntie mothered
me in a way I didn't
know existed.

Don't let go too soon.
Don't let go too late.
Good advice I think.

But now,
the time has come.

So let me take  your
faithful body
in my lotus hands,
and most lovingly
express all the gratitude
that one can expess
for life itself.

Then, I will lay you down,
and re-ascend into the living
world, all the while,
carrying your lessons
and love in my pocket,
as I walk and breathe
in a life closer
to my own.

May peace be in your
heart dear Protector.
Know, thanks to you,
I have more
peace in mine.

With all my
love and blessings.

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment