Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Poetry 156: Summer Solstice

Summer Solstice


I sit by the
open screen door
and watch the fire flies
light up the
evening shade.

The moist humid
air feels heavy
on my skin,
and beads of
sweat form on
my upper lip.

My cushion
feels sturdy and
trustworthy,
as I kneel down
on the blanket,
one leg on
each side.

In this moment,
I realize
I don’t fear the
darkness to come.

My experience tells
me, darkness
is a necessary
alchemy for
transformation, and
remarkably, I trust
the process.

Because if devotion is
a prerequisite for
purification, then
I bow down
to Kali with an
open heart
and a willing soul.

Let darkness come!
I confess to the
night sky.

Let me release the
long days of
light and allow
shadows to move
into my well.

Let me surrender
to the heat
of the underworld.

For if the Gospels
are correct,
the authentic personhood
which we do
not bring forth,
can burn us alive
if left forever
in the wasteland
of neglect.

Let me not
fall into this
deadly trap.

Instead,
come. Sit.

Let darkness
envelop me
in her strong
arms, so that
the mystery
and magic
of compost and shit
can digest the half-life
of pain and
disregard.

It is the
only way
through.

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment