Search This Blog

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Poetry 143: Use of Self

Use of Self

I want this pain
to soften me.

I need to know
it served
a purpose
beyond the
suffering that
is always here.
 
Like a potter
kneading out
the week-old
clay, I must be
be reused. 

The bruise on
my left hipbone.
The scar underneath
my right knee.
 
The night terrors
that wake me up
screaming.
The inability
to pass
a mother’s day
without a
renewed heartache.
 
Pain wears
us down-
if we are lucky.

It takes us
down to zero
where the one
and only response
can be
kindness.
 
I grow softer
by the minute,
and I’m only
at the half-way
mark.
 
But what happens
if this use of
self becomes
a transfiguration
of Self? 

Would "I" evaporate
into thin
air?
Would the line
between you
and me finally
blur beyond
recognition?
 
In the matrix
of divine reason,
in which we
are continuously
born into this life,
can pain actually
remove those
inner caverns
of hardened wounds
and frozen undercurrents
so that a soft underbelly
of that which
is really real 
might be
revealed?
 
Perhaps, she says.

God willing,
let me
find out.

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment