Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2018

Poetry 132: Reincarnation

Reincarnation

They say
we reincarnate
the day we become
parents.

I believe
this is
true.

In the moment
of the first
cry,
our childhood
takes its final deep,
excruciating
breath,
and the heart
stops.

Like our own infants,
when we awaken
in our new
body,
now more lumpy
and bumpy
than just 9 months
ago,
our new bewildering
life lies out before
us.

They say reincarnation
is a gift.
It could be,
I suppose,
if I allow evolution
to proceed.
If “I” get out
of the way.

Because even
without “I”,
the path is still
quietly consciously
(unconsciously)
illuminated by the
pitfalls, and,
in some cases,
IEDs of the
life before.

So let me
step aside, and
allow the  organic
alchemy of transformation
to occur.

A natural process
of generation and
legacy
t
hat releases
us from the sticky
cobwebs of our past.

Its counterintuitive
I know, but
it can be scary
at times to let go
of all that familiar,
and therefore comfortable,
complications
of the past.

Don’t panic
though.

For the simple remnant
will be this
gorgeous fleshy creature
who lies skin to skin;
who knows trust
beyond trust and
love beyond love.

Ah, there is
so much to
relearn
in this new
life.

If only.

-Me

(In memory of my Great-Uncle Nick. In dedication to my great-nephew.)

No comments:

Post a Comment