Search This Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Poetry 119: A Woman’s World

A Woman’s World

There is a raging fire 
inside of me
that I rarely can explain. 

A fire so hot 
that I must stand 
outside under the stars,
in below freezing temperatures
with my bare skin exposed,
as to not burn up inside. 

All the while,
I do not pass go 
or collect two hundred dollars 
as I sit cross legged 
on my living room floor
playing monopoly
through the afternoon. 

All the while,
I wash, dry and fold 
another load of laundry. 

My daughter yells from
the back seat,
begging me to open
the car window
as we race down the highway
in the middle of our Arctic winter.

“It’s too hot!
I can’t even stand it!”
she insists.

It must be that scorching
feminine energy
I concede,
as I feel the bitter cold
finally reach my cheeks and fingertips.

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment