Search This Blog

Monday, June 26, 2017

Poetry 114: Uncommon Prayer

Uncommon Prayer
Underneath the water
everything makes sense.

My breath,
the light,
the unimaginable quiet.

I am more myself
in the water than I am on land.

A hilarious
evolutionary paradox
that prompts
a most knowing, Mona-Lisa-like smile,
on the lips of god
I suppose.
Because only There,
can my true self be my normal;
can my body be my friend.

Is this a prayer,
I wonder?
Though an uncommon one at best.

One that makes
communion feel obvious
and understated
because the womb-like quality is so
superbly clichéd
and delicious.

Even my own embodied body
feels more itself;
as it wriggles and twists
into its most animal-like fashion
across the sandy sea floor.

It's a virtually magical
sensation,
as the streaming sunlight
shimmers against each molecule of water.

Though I've yet to meet a mermaid,
there is still no place
I'd rather be.

What if that were true
in this life as well?

Perhaps I'll have to
to pray for that.

-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment