Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2017

Little Zen Teachers Part III

Children and Koans

(youngzine.org)

My 3 year-old daughter asked me the other day:

Mom, what do memories look like and where do they come from?

At the time she was standing in front of the open refrigerator in our kitchen looking for a snack, and I was sitting in the dining room.  It seemed that her questions were so mundane, that they did not even require a look away from the refrigerator when she asked them.

In the moment I tried my best to answer her question- trying to find words that were informational and satisfying.

Yet I must admit, I felt pleasantly stumped by her question.  I almost wanted to linger in the question rather than fumble my way to an answer, and it felt reminiscent of a Koan.

In traditional Zen Practice a Koan is a story, dialogue, question or statement that is offered by a Zen Master to their student as a method of teaching.  The purpose of the Koan is to challenge and test the student.

Classical examples of traditional Zen Koans include:

o   What is the sound of one hand clapping, and

o   What did you look like before you were born.

Just for fun, I have asked my 7 year-old son the 2 Koans that I just listed.

What was interesting to me was that he readily answered each Koan as if it was the most ordinary of questions. 

No pausing. No questioning. No confused expression on his face. 

It was as if I had just asked him the most commonplace of questions like: Is it raining outside?

Observing my son’s considerable comfort with the philosophical and my daughter’s casual inquiry about the unknown (to her) struck me poignant. 

It seems we adults get very quickly befuddled when we are facing a puzzle that we cannot solve (possibly why a Koan is sometimes referred to as a “Great Doubt”), when maybe it is our reaction to the Koan that creates the struggle, rather than the conundrum itself.

In other words, if we adults, like children, could have less emphasis on our own perception, our own sense of effort, our own OMG reactions when facing a riddle or perplex problem, what would be different?

What could be different?

Compassion Toward Others: Including Trees?

In my yard I have a small Japanese Maple Tree that may be on its last leg.

The roots do not look super hearty at this point, and each year fewer and fewer leaves sprout from the braches.

My daughter has taken a liking to this little tree though, and each time we are playing in the yard, she will walk right up to the reddish brown shrub and talk to it.

“Are you thirsty?” she will ask. “Are you tired?”

Yesterday, my daughter asked me if I had a Kleenex in my pocket.  I did, and I handed it to her.  She took the tissue and walked over to the tree, and put the paper up against the branches.

When I asked my daughter what she was doing, she said very matter-of-factly: “She’s sick. She has a runny nose.  “She” in this case was the tree.

She, my daughter, then proceeded to get water for the tree and poured it over the roots that half-heartedly stuck out of the ground, while proclaiming that the sick tree was quite thirsty and tired.

As I stood by watching this display of compassion toward another living organism, I was moved to wonder what this level of compassion for all living organisms might look like on a world-wide platform?

In that moment, I remembered once hearing an interview on NPR with a professor and author of environmental biology at the State University of New York named Robin Wall Kimmerer. In the interview, I recalled her statement:

I can’t think of a single scientific study in the last few decades that has demonstrated that plants or animals are dumber than we think. It’s always the opposite, right? What we’re revealing is the fact that they have a capacity to learn, to have memory, and we’re at the edge of a wonderful revolution in really understanding the sentience of other beings.

How interesting that children already intuitively know what we adults continue to question- thereby requiring more hard-won scientific research and studies to “prove” what is already here.

Compassion Toward Self

Last summer my family and I went for a long hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. 

It was  glorious day, one that I will remember always, but at the very end there was an unfortunate accident: my then 2 year-old daughter fell flat-out, face first, onto the pavement.

My husband, son and I all saw it happen, and we collectively drew in our breath when we saw the “splat.” 

I think we were all waiting for the initial scream, followed by the tears, and then the all-out total meltdown.

Strangely though, it never came…

We all rushed over to my daughter’s side to help her back up onto her feet.

Of course she looked upset and distressed, but also oddly contained, which led us to decide to just keep walking as if nothing had happened.

To this, however, my daughter, forcefully objected. 

Wait!” she asserted. 

We all stopped.

She then proceeded to sit down on the ground, exactly where she had fallen, and kiss all the different areas of her body that had been scuffed and bruised in the fall.

Of course it is very common for most kids, including my daughter, to ask for a kiss on the “boo boo” after a fall or an accident, but in this case, my daughter was taking care of herself.

As if it was the most natural thing in the world, she began kissing her left and right knee, right elbow and left elbow; methodically moving through each area of her injured body.

When all of the necessary kisses had been given, without fanfare, she stood back up, and resumed the hike.  It was as if the need had been identified, met, and now she was ready to proceed.

Watching my daughter, I secretly wished I could be as nurturing and compassionate toward myself as she had been toward herself.

Maybe I will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment