Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Spiritual Lessons from Nature Part III


A couple of months ago, in mid-winter, I took a walk in the woods.  My heart was heavy that particular day, and I thought some time in nature might bring some lightness to my mood.
As I walked along the trail I noticed all of the cascades of ice on the small hills and cliffs that bordered the hiking path.  We had had a fairly mild winter until just a few weeks before, and I guessed the flowing water just froze up solid one winter day and had been frozen ever since.
A little further down the trail though, I noticed the sound of moving water.  Not the loud rush of a river, just a little drip, drip, drip sound like the highest keys on a piano.
Since all of the water I had seen so far had been rock-hard frozen, I was surprised by the sound, and I looked around for the source of this melodic water song. 
I ended up finding the little trickle coming from a small stream that was deep inside the ground. Though the ground surface had iced up, the ground beneath remained fluid and ever changing.
I vividly remember the sense of relief I felt upon hearing and then seeing the moving water.  To know that there may be a space inside of the earth that continues to flow along seamlessly despite whatever may be happening on the surface gave me hope that there may be a similar space inside of me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment