Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2015

How to Avoid Abandoning Joy

I used to imagine the uninvited emotional visitors such as envy, resentment, disappointment, and grief as the emotional hijackers of my moments of joy. Like a street posse, this band of unpleasant emotions would break into my home of contentment leaving me to feel victimized and angry that my state of equanimity had been stolen away.

That was then.

Now, I try to imagine each emotion as an essential part of me- whether I like it or not—that has its own sacred place within me.  Similar to John Kabat Zinn’s suggestion in his classic book Wherever You Go, There You Are to consider each and every character in a legend or fairy tale (the princess and the witch, the prince and the ogre) to be a small or large part of the whole that makes us, I try to see each and every emotion in the same vain.

However, I’ve found lately that just desiring to embrace each and every emotion, does not help me in fact radically accept it- totally and completely.  When the rubber meets the road, I often still resist.

Take this morning for example.

This morning in meditation I experienced a sensation of intense of sadness wash over me.  It reminded me of the weather patterns that are so frequently talked about in the meditation literature.  One minute you are sitting in your boat on the flat calm water with clear skies overhead and a feeling of contentment throughout your whole body, and the next, a dark cloud rolls in from the east leaving you instinctually holding your hand to your chest to acknowledge the weight of the wave of emotion that has just knocked the wind right out of you.

I know there is nothing to do or change about this aspect of meditation practice.  I know there is nothing wrong with discomfort in moments such as these. I know this is all part of my practice. And the meditation literature has helped me to see this.

However, afterward I was left wondering two things:

1.)   Am I as accepting of these types of emotional weather patterns when I am off the cushion in my day-to-day life?  Which I’d have to honestly answer a firm: no.

And,

2.) Is it more that my emotional hijackers steal me away from joy? Or, do I actually habitually abandon joy the moment any kind of distressing emotion presents itself? To which I’d have to say a qualitative: yes.

In fact, it happened just the other day.

The other day I was at a Yoga Festival with my 6 year-old son, and it was undeniably a fantastic day.  We laughed. We danced. We ate yummy food. We hugged. We talked about silly and significant things in the same breath. It was wonderful.

Then came the hour drive home. 

My son was asleep in the back, and I decided to make a quick phone call (hands free of course!).  I had thought the phone call was fairly innocuous; just firming up plans.  Before I knew it though, the conversation took an unexpected turn, and I was knee deep in the sticky mud of emotional discomfort. 

And boy did I get stuck! The phone call itself was all of 10 minutes, but my own distress level went on for several hours.  And I must tell you, that pissed me off to no end.  I went from a state of bliss stemming from that fabulous yoga fest with my beloved, to grief and sadness on the phone call, and then, to anger about the grief and sadness “ruining” my day.

Yes, if you are wondering, I could see I was definitely struggling with what some Buddhist practitioners might call non-attachment. LOL. 

Interestingly though, I was struggling with both nonattachment to the pleasant emotions and the unpleasant emotions.  Yet in retrospect, I now see that I did not recognize my own role or accountability in the moment. I felt like something had been done to me.

Some people confuse non-attachment with being unfeeling, apathetic, or neutral.  But I do not view non-attachment that way.  To me, non-attachment is an open-hearted, unconditional friendliness.  Therefore, non-attachment toward emotions, all emotions, would be a warm and curious loving- kindness.

When I am formally sitting on the cushion in meditation, I am able to practice non-attachment to my changing weather patterns of emotions with relative ease.  It is certainly not effortless, but it does not throw me for a loop anymore either. 

Off the cushion however, I am playing in a whole other league, and one that I am not completely ready for despite my regular practice.

Something that has helped me though, both on and off the cushion, is to imagine all my emotions as my dear children. 

Now, if you have children of your own as I do, it can be quite easy to move from the concrete image of your children, to your imagined emotional children.  But even if you don’t, you can use the images of nieces, nephews, god sons and daughters, or any other child you love. Or, you can always exercise those imagination muscles which work marvelously as well.

This use of imagery is similar to what several patients of mine have been recently telling me in bits and pieces about the new animated movie Inside Out.  I have not yet had the opportunity to see it myself, but based on their descriptions about these movie characters who are personified emotions (Sadness, Joy, Anger, Disgust, Fear), in this one area, Disney and I may be on the same page. And like John Kabat- Zinn says, legends and fairy tales as told through modern day Disney movies carry timeless truths (or mirrors) about ourselves that is applicable to all ages.

What is interesting to me though, is out of all of the emotional characters or children that I wrestle with, joy may in fact be the most challenging.

To me, joy is like that well-behaved child who just sits quietly and does what she is told.  She is the child who is able to dress herself and get a snack independently. She is your go-to girl.

Unfortunately though, because joy will not make a fuss when you are busy taking care of the other emotional children who are the squeaky wheels--who for me are: grief, disappointment, envy, resentment-- joy is the emotional child who can be easily overlooked, inadvertently ignored, or even neglected at times. 

But maybe, like children, it is no one’s fault. Maybe there actually is no one to blame or to be mad at.  Emotions, like children, all have different idiosyncrasies and needs.  So to engage in reactive, willful behavior like yelling, screaming, or stomping your feet will only be ineffective and make the situation 10 times worse.

Therefore, this reality requires more radical acceptance. The reality that the needy and dependent emotional children will continually make attempts to steal my attention away from joy requires more accountability on my part to engage in mindful awareness when my attention has been distracted.  In other words, I need to stop referring to them as hijackers.  Additionally, I need to make a concerted effort to spend more quality time with joy so that she does not get abandoned as often.

How do we do that though? How do we respond skillfully to these very tricky emotions where, like Alice in Wonderland, one minute we feel fine and the next we have slid right down the rabbit hole?

Here are a few ideas that I have gathered from the wisdom of others:

Compassion: Instead of viewing these intrusive emotions like emotional hijackers straight out of some overly dramatic 747 airline movie starring Harrison Ford, consider the image of seeing them as a teenage gang in the neighborhood. 

Now, you may be thinking, “what is she talking about?! That still seems really scary.”  Well, that’s true, and you know what, painful emotions like grief can be scary too.  But when you boil it down, a teenage gang is made up of a bunch of traumatized kids who have, what Jesuit Priest and author Greg Boyle calls, “a lethal absence of hope.”

And if you can remember that, then you can begin to engage with these challenging and at times scary emotions as you might a group of traumatized and hopeless kids who are messing up your day or your neighborhood. It may help you navigate the moment from a foundation of compassionate skill rather than fear and anger.

Blessings: Consider blessing these difficult emotions.  Minister and author Barbara Brown Taylor shared in her book A Geography of Faith, the story of a friend who used this practice to manage the intense emotions associated with a recurrent bad dream.  In the book Ms. Taylor writes:

“I have a friend who did not sleep through the night for years because of a dreadful dream he had. He did not have it every night, but he feared it every night, so that even on his nights off he stayed on guard.”

And that is the struggle right? That is how we can begin to have an aversive or even aggressive reaction to uncomfortable emotions because the timing can feel so intrusive, inconvenient, and in the extreme, a betrayal.

However, the aversive and aggressive reactions in the case of Ms. Taylor’s friend only made the situation worse, and was not improving the sleep. So instead, her friend tried a blessing.

“One night—in the dream—it occurred to him that what the demon wanted from him was his blessing. That was the only thing that would end the demon’s agony. That was the only thing that would make it go away. So he opened the door with his guts on fire and his hands in front of his face. ‘I bless you,’ he said to the demon, ‘and I bid you go where God wants you to go.” But saying it once was not enough. He had to say it over and over again, as many different ways as he could think of to say it, for what seemed in the dream like close to an hour. It was as if the demon could not get enough of the blessing. It was as if no one had ever blessed him before…’Now go in peace.’ Making a sound like a kitten, the demon turned around and never came back.”

This is by no means easy.  This practice is not for the faint of heart. 

Invitations: Consider inviting these hard to handle emotions to dinner, or at least to tea.  This one, like the blessing, is counterintuitive because you are essentially embracing the difficult to then be able to return to the experience of contentment or joy.

Buddhist teacher and author Tara Brach wrote in her blog on June 12th of this year about a story from Buddhist literature that is over millennia old in which the Buddha himself interacted with the Demon God Mara through compassionate mindfulness rather than aversion and aggression. She wrote:

“Instead of ignoring Mara or driving him away, the Buddha would calmly acknowledge his presence, saying, ‘I see you, Mara.’ He would then invite him for tea and serve him as an honored guest. Offering Mara a cushion so that he could sit comfortably, the Buddha would fill two earthen cups with tea, place them on the low table between them, and only then take his own seat. Mara would stay for a while and then go, but throughout the Buddha remained free and undisturbed.”

Though we may not be able to follow this model all the time when we experience discomfort, Ms. Brach reminds us we can try to remember:

“When Mara visits us, in the form of troubling emotions or fearsome stories, we can say, ‘I see you, Mara,’ and clearly recognize the reality of craving and fear that lives in each human heart. By accepting these experiences with the warmth of compassion, we can offer Mara tea rather than fearfully driving him away.”

Love: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. modeled a loving practice to be used in the face of adversity and hate. 

Of course, like the other more enlightened beings like the Buddha, we everyday people may struggle to practice this type of advanced Kingian practice with the types of aggression and oppression of the likes Dr. King faced and was ultimately assassinated by.  But even still, we can engage this loving practice with challenging emotions like dread, shame and rage.  Emotions that have the potential to drown out the sound of all the pleasant feelings like calm, affection and pride.

Dr. King believed a loving practice was “the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” Could you imagine making dread, shame and rage into your friends rather than your enemies?

Dr. King also did not buy into the myth that there are people in the world who are either all good or all bad.  He believed there is always some of one in the other. 

He said: “There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.” When we apply this same assertion to our emotions, maybe bliss is not all good and we should consider taking her off of the pedestal, and in so doing, avoid devaluing distressing emotions like betrayal to the confines of the unwanted basement.

Mindful Awareness: Going back to our Buddhist teacher and author friend Tara Brach, in her book, True Refuge, she generously gives us an acronym of RAIN to help us remember how to allow each moment of discomfort, which may or may not present itself during a moment of joy, to move through us like a wave in the ocean.

RAIN stands for:

R             Recognize

A            Allow life to be just as it is

I              Investigate inner experience with kindness

N            Non-identification.

When applying RAIN to our lives she writes:

“RAIN directly deconditions the habitual ways in which you resist your moment-to-moment experience. It doesn’t matter whether you resist what is by lashing out in anger, by having a cigarette, or by getting immersed in obsessive thinking. Your attempt to control your life within and around you actually cuts you off from your own heart and from this living world. RAIN begins to undo these unconscious patterns as soon as we take the first step.”

Another similar approach to RAIN that is taught at Kripalu yoga and wellness center in the Berkshires of Massachusetts that is also about riding the wave of discomfort is BRFWA which stands for:

B             Breathe

R             Relax

F             Feel

W           Watch

A            Allow.

Author, yogi, and resident Kripalu scholar outlines this technique in his book, and one of my personal favorites, Yoga and the Quest for the True Self. He says when we use this technique:

“We don’t try to control our energy experience, we’re free to surrender to the wave of sensation, of feeling, and of energy.  In these remarkable moments of freedom, we can let life as it is touch us, because at our core we know that ‘everything is already OK.”

Gratitude: This suggestion comes from social researcher and author Dr. Brene Brown, and she says it is particularly useful when the emotional hijacker of joy specifically is fear.

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey on Super Soul Sunday, Dr. Brown said, “If you ask me what’s the most terrifying, difficult emotion we feel as humans, I would say joy.”

Calling joy “terrifying” may seem strange, but if you are a “waiting for the other shoe to drop” type of person, then just when you begin to relax into joy, you may notice your whole body tense up, as if to say: “no! Don’t let your guard down, something bad could happen.”

In moments like these, Dr. Brown suggests we intentionally move ourselves into a practice of gratitude to avoid that slippery slope from joy to fear that can happen in .2 seconds.
 
So, that’s it. That’s all I got.  But what about you? How do you stick with joy to avoid getting hooked on the bait of negative emotions?  How do you avoid abandoning joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment